Makey Makey Instruments
For this week we were challenged to make an instrument using a Makey Makey keyboard. I decided to combine my artwork, Makey Makey, and NYU’s Virtual Chamber Music of Detroit program (From Makey Makey Website: http://www.nyu.edu/projects/ruthmann/CMSD/piano/). While the paint was still wet I connected the keyboard to the painting. I used the based sound to make my background and shape the organization of black shapes on the artwork. I then planned where the paint was going to go carefully to ensure no interference. I wanted to combine sense for the project. The planning and painting took the longest part of the whole project. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire process of making this project. Not only did i develop texture within the interactive artwork, I also expanded my belief in what sound affords in relation to texture.
Lesson Plan Example:
Grades: 5th and up
Materials:
-Wide range of materials that vary in texture
(i.e. playdough, pipe cleaners, wood scraps and, glue gun scraps, foil. cloth, etc) - makerspace materials
-Makey Makey Keyboard
-Computer with Internet Connection
Prompt: Create a sound board using Scratch and the materials provided to then construct a piece of artwork that is interactive when you touch it.
Explanation: Within a makerspace, thingspace or creative space, collect as many objects that have a broad range of textures. Then have students programs their own game on Scratch where they use a Makey Makey with the textures they choose. Students should record their own sounds based on what they think the sound of that object's texture is. Students are then challenged to put the objects together to make a painting, sculpture or some for on interactive structure. This project will take a at least four to six 75 minute sessions to complete.
Comments
Post a Comment